Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Three Tips To Take A Leap

I had lunch today with an old friend and colleague in Pittsburgh, catching up on life and work. Its probably been 18 months since we got together last. A great conversation, good to see him again and see how his kids are growing up so fast. He lives in Toronto and work brings him to Pittsburgh regularly, but this was the first time we had seen each other in ages. Conversation turned to business and while I won’t share the context of our (private) lunch, I was reminded of three key lessons that life has taught my friend and I since we first met as colleagues in Brussels in the 90s.People are afraid to fail. Its like the “f” word that is more obscene and crude than the other, more well known “f” word. What is our obsession with failure? People see failure as a colossal mistake, a black mark on their record. It’s not. When I start something new, I feel like I have nothing to lose and everything to gain. What would happen if it failed? Guess what? I’ve been there, I have failed (horror!). Big deal.

You get up to the plate, swing for the fences, and sometimes you miss. I’m not a baseball fan, I hate the sport (you would too if you ever lived in Pittsburgh where the pitiful Pirates play), but I love baseball analogies and stories. Everyone knows Babe Ruth is famous for his home run record, but did you know he also held the record for strikeouts for decades? Babe once said, “Every strike brings me closer to the next home run.” So true…

There are three key lessons I have learnt in life that are proving priceless when it comes to seeking success:
Learn. Approach everything in life as a learning experience. Especially a new venture, project or activity. People pay hundreds of thousands of dollars and spend years in college to get the same education you can get from the real world. Its almost ironic that we are programmed to study for years and get that Masters degree or PHD, only so we can experience it for real later in life. You have to approach the world and your venture as a learning experience, an opportunity like going to school. You must be open to learning and growing. Regardless of what happens with this venture or activity, you can take what you’ve learned and apply it to the next thing for the rest of your life.

Don’t burn bridges. “Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down.” Actor/comedian Jimmy Durante’s timeless quote is as valid for you and me as it is for the movers and shakers of industry and politics. Whatever you do, treat others with respect. Don’t lie or take advantage of them or of a situation. Deals go bad all the time, but relationships shouldn’t. Protect your reputation. It’s a small world and it’s getting smaller. Bad relationships are likely to come back to haunt you. Be honorable and professional.

Network. A CEO I once worked for taught me what it really means to network. Too many people think networking is for outgoing extroverts. They are wrong. Networking is an activity everyone must commit to and do in order to build their personal brand. Everything you do – professional or personal - will lead you to new people. Don’t be casual about the relationships you form - be proactive. Everyone you meet has the opportunity to teach you something. Learn from their successes and failures. Everyone you meet has the opportunity to introduce you to someone else who can help you - maybe not today and maybe not with this venture, but maybe a year from now in a completely unrelated venture. Be aware of those connections and maintain them. And be natural, its not forced.

These three lessons should be ingrained in all of us who want to better ourselves, no matter what field or goal we are chasing. I think about the difference between people who make it happen for themselves and those who let things happen to them. The proactive ones are active networkers who build bridges with everyone they meet and have a passion for learning from everything around them.

And if you have a fear of failure – be it starting a business, public speaking, taking more responsibility etc. – you will not get ahead if you are not willing to take a chance and make it happen for yourself, even if it means failing. Its much easier to stay at home, to read a novel, watch TV, or surf Facebook than it is to take chances. But this risk-adverse thinking will, at best, keep you right where you are and, more likely, cause you to slowly fall farther and farther behind.

As I have said all along in this blog, life is about taking chances, its about exploring the unknown and taking a long-term approach. I encourage you to seek these chances and make it happen for yourself. Just know that you will swing and you will miss. It doesn’t matter how gifted you are or how many personal development books you read. But, and this is key, a swing and a miss is not a failure when you live by the three lessons above.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting you say this right now, because I am feeling that people are now moving in very opposite direction...keep it safe and don't fail! Even in US and Eastern Europe where people used to be naturally active and forthcoming in the past 6 or 9 months I have been feeling this, play it safe approach which is pretty much supported by every newspaper and magazine.

    Some years ago, we used to call it "German mantra" with my friends, because it is really very German thinking - obviously clear only for fokes from Europe, I guess. And we used to laugh about it, because it never gets anything done, but you can always have a meeting about it.

    The problem with such approach is, as you mention in your post, it gets you nowhere and it gets everyone slowly into more depressed mood because things are stagnating. Poeple see it but when you try to get them moving, they back-off and claim, they have to stay safe...

    well, it makes me sad, because I know I am risk taker, maybe too much sometimes, but recently I am missing people to take the risk with and that is bad even for an optimist! :)

    So if anyone knows about anyone who likes to take chances, let him know there are still other people willing to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it and find it so true in so many ways!

    For instance, I noticed many people coming to me wanting to do what I did...starting my own business. For whatever "good" reasons they come up with, they are just not doing it. I think they are just scared to get out of their comfort zone and find an easy way out by using every possible very "good" excuses.

    That reminds me of a metaphor I once heard at a seminar I attended in San Diego.

    Life is like the Ocean. You have 2 options:

    1- You get in the water and find your way through the waves. Eventually it will get calm again.

    2- Be scared of the waves and step back on the beach, stay "safe", stay comfortable, surrounded by what you know.

    The waves are simply life telling you that you are stepping out your comfort zone, in the unknown. Everything around you is trying to pull you back where you were, back in your comfort zone. If you fight through it, you will expand yourself, find peace again and what was once wavy and uncomfortable will then become your new comfort zone.

    This is the best image I was given to explain what happens every time we take a chance, a risk, a leap of faith.... Every time you base your actions on where you want to go and not on where you are now because now is simply the result of your past actions. It is not who you are but who you were....

    I have to admit that along with that metaphor come any principles and laws to be applied but the idea is there.

    I too am a risk taker and also truly believe that as you mentioned in your blog, every fall brings me closer to my goal.

    Even though people use very good excuses to not do anything, I noticed that they are more aware now than ever that it is their choice and their responsibility. People are becoming more and more open minded about this kind of thinking and are working their way out of the denial phase where it is so easy to blame everyone and everything else for whatever is happening.

    I see the light and remind myself everyday of how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many good people!

    PS: Definition of Luck per James Arthur Ray: Laboring Under the Correct Knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I entered this site by chance, but I found very interesting. A greeting to all the people who visit this page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! I absorbed everything you had to say and although I am one of those people whom are scared to fail I have found myself networking more and more lately, wiping my life clean from all the negativity and just going for it.

    I figured right now is the best time to jump in and do it considering I lost my job over a year ago...I felt I had nothing more to lose and nothing else to fear considering I lived through a big fear of mine for over a year now.

    Playing it safe was always comforting but I was completely miserable. Now I find myself incredibly happy doing what I am doing and its working! Things are falling in to place and I am enjoying every bit of it but I do have to admit, if I hadn't networked and taken a chance to approach people I knew would help me get there, I wouldn't be where I am at today. Godd luck everyone!

    ReplyDelete